- Vehicle Ordinance
- Overnight Parking
- Cranberry Lake Walking Path
- Dog Ordinance
- Sprinkling Restrictions
- Boat & RV Ordinance
- Snow Ordinance
- Fence Ordinance
- Patio Ordinance
- Hainesville Municipal Codes (will open in a new window)
Parking is NOT allowed on any Village street between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. or after two inches of snowfall.
If you have overnight guests please notify the Police Department dispatch at 847-223-2341.
For town homes, please refer to your association for the specifics.
Parking over sidewalks is a violation of local ordinance.
Please observe the speed limit and stop signs – help make the Village safe for our children.
The Grayslake Police Department is taking this opportunity to remind residents of the overnight parking ordinance in effect throughout the village.
This ordinance has been in effect within the village for many years. It was designed and put into effect so as to enhance the level of safety and security of the residents of the village, as well as for guests of those people residing in the village! HOLIDAY LANE RESIDENTS: Please call your association for parking restrictions.
The ordinance requires a resident (excluding Holiday Lane residents) to make daily notification to the police department of any request for parking on village streets between the hours of 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM. This requirement of notification extends not only to vehicles registered to village residents, but to vehicles registered to their guests as well.
After a call of notification has been made and permission to park on village streets during the times above has been granted, affected vehicles must be parked in front of the residence of the person making the notification.
Signs advising of these parking restrictions are, and have been, posted throughout the village at various locations. For future reference, these signs may be observed at eight locations which encompass all major entry/exit points to village sub-divisions.
While village police officers are empowered to utilize their discretionary powers in many situations, they are also being encouraged to issue tickets for ordinance violations as well as addressing more serious offenses with appropriate charges written under state statutes. Again, these measures are being acted upon with the safety and security of our residents and their guests in mind.
Your cooperation in this matter as a fellow resident of the Village of Hainesville is greatly appreciated. Residents are encouraged to contact Grayslake Police Department at (847) 223-2341 when seeking permission to park on village streets between the hours of 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM.
The State of Illinois and the Village require all animals to be licensed (in the form of a rabies tag). These tags are available through your veterinarian. Owners are required to abide by the Leash Law whenever an animal is off the owner’s property. Additionally, owners are responsible for the removal of their animals waste from public and private property.
The village leash law requires that if a dog is not in a fenced yard, it must be on a leash or chained.
Clean up after your dog. This is a serious problem at our conservation areas and school bus stop corners.
Please keep dogs off the play pad at the park. This will keep the fill clean for the children.
Four domestic pets are allowed per home. Litters may be weaned.
Village-wide lawn sprinkling restrictions went into effect July 15, 1996.
Odd numbered houses may water on odd numbered calendar days.
Even numbered houses may water on even numbered calendar days.
Holiday Lane ONLY town home address is determined by first two digits.
During your day to water, hours are midnight to 9 am and again from 6 pm to midnight.
Lawn sprinkling and outdoor watering of trees, shrubs, etc., is restricted to the permitted days and hours. Hand watering is permitted.
Children’s sprinklers may be used not to exceed two hours in usage.
Newly seeded or sodded lawns may be watered for the first two weeks not to exceed four hours per day.
There is NO WATERING allowed between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
The watering restrictions are strictly enforced and fines are imposed. If you have questions call the Village Hall at 847-223-2032 for clarification.
Boat & RV Ordinance
• Boats, their trailers, campers, etc. may be temporarily stored in driveways from April 1 to October 31 only.
• Snowmobiles and their trailers may be temporarily stored in driveways between November 1 and March 31 only.
• No storage is allowed on non-paved surfaces or side yards, except, in some cases, behind a privacy fence.
• If your recreational vehicle won’t fit in your garage, please begin planning your storage now. Please phone Village Hall with any questions.
There is no parking on any Village street with 2 inches or more of snow.
When cleaning off the end of your driveway, you must not throw any snow into the street. If you have a service removing your snow from your driveway, the service cannot push the snow across the street onto your neighbor’s property.
Ordinance No. 97-3-3
AN ORDINANCE GOVERNING THE INSTALLATION OF FENCES IN THE VILLAGE OF HAINESVILLE
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE PRESIDENT AND BOARD OF TRUSTEES VILLAGE OF HAINESVILLE, LAKE COUNTY, ILLINOIS, AS FOLLOWS:
No fence shall be constructed, installed or maintained in the Village of Hainesville, unless the same meets with the following requirements
Definition: A fence is defined as a structure performing a barrier at grade between lots, between a lot and a street or an alley, or between portions of a lot or lots, such structure being independent of any other.
No fence shall be constructed, installed or maintained within two(2) feet of any public sidewalk, and the said fence shall not exceed the following heights, to-wit:
Front Yard: 4′ (four feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Rear Yard: 6′ (six feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Side Yard: 6′ (six feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Front Yard: 4 (four feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Street Side Yard: 4′ (four feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Interior Side Yard: 6′ (six feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Rear Yard: 6′ (six feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Business, Commercial and Industrial
Front Yard: 8′ (eight feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Rear Yard: 8′ (eight feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Side Yard: 8′ (eight feet) maximum height measured from ground level.
Materials and Installation:
Materials – Residential:
Cyclone-type or metal mesh:
Minimum 11 gauge
Line post minimum 1 5/8″
Terminal post minimum 2 1/2″
Post, minimum 3″ diameter
Decorative wood to be minimum thickness of 3/4″
Cross pieces to be minimum 2″ x 4″
Materials – Business Commercial and Industrial: All materials used shall be commercial-type materials.
Installation of Fences: installation of fences shall be in compliance with the following:
Posts shall be installed with two inches (2″) of concrete surrounding them. The concrete shall be minimum mix, of five (5) bag, gravel mix.
Posts shall be spaced not more than eight feet (8′) centerline to centerline.
On cyclone fences, posts shall not extend higher than 3 inches (3″) over finished height; and on wood fences, posts shall not extend higher than six inches (6″) over finished height.
Cyclone or metal mesh shall be installed so that the unfinished or protective edge of the wire is at the bottom or ground.
All fences shall be installed inside property lines.
No fences will be allowed beyond the front property markers
Installation of fences will be allowed on utility easement property, but if necessary, will be removed at the owner’s expense and the utility company will not be held responsible for any damage.
The finish side of all fences shall face the exterior of the property on all sides.
All gates shall be installed with a proper catch and locking device.
Variations: Any variation from the terms of this Section will be made only after a written request, giving the reasons for any variation, has been submitted to the Building Official and has been approved by a majority of the Board of Trustees. The maximum height of all fences shall be eight feet (8′).
No electric-type fences or any type of electrical devices installed to a fence will be allowed in the corporate limits of the Village.
Any farm-type fences or portable-type fences shall not be used as permanent fences.
Dog Runs: The following requirements shall apply to dog runs:
Maximum height: 6′ (six feet)
Cyclone-type fences or eleven (11) gauge wire.
Length and width shall be under the discretion of the Building Committee,
Dog runs must be installed, with the exception of corner lots, only at the rear of any properties, but no closer than fifteen feet (15′) to a neighboring residence.
If dogs capable of jumping over the top of the fence are kept in a dog run a top will be installed on such dog run.
All dog runs must be maintained daily so as not to have an offensive odor.
Ordinance No 97-3-2
AN ORDINANCE REGULATING ACCESSORY BUILDINGS, GARAGES, PORCHES, DECKS AND PATIOS
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE PRESIDENT AND BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE VILLAGE OF HAINESVILLE, LAKE COUNTY, ILLINOIS AS FOLLOWS:
The terms and provisions of this Ordinance shall be in addition to all other regulations pertaining to accessory buildings, garages, porches, decks and patios. Whenever there is any conflict between the terms and provisions of this Ordinance and any other Ordinance, the most restrictive terms shall be applicable.
Accessory Building: A subordinate building which is located on the same lot on which the principal building is situated and which is reasonably necessary and incidental to the conduct of the primary use of such building or main use, when permitted by district regulations. An “ACCESSORY BUILDING” includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Children’s playhouse, garden house or private greenhouse.
• Shed or building for domestic storage.
• Swimming pools, private, for the use of residents of the zoning lot and their guests, subject to Village Ordinances.
• Deck: A structure projecting out from the wall or walls of a main structure and commonly open to the weather in part.
• Garage Private: A detached accessory building or portion of the principal building designed, arranged, used or intended to be used for the storage of automobiles of the occupants of the premises.
• Patio: An area, unconnected to the main structure, at ground level, improved with pavement stone, timbers or the like, open to the sky
• Porch: A roofed-oven structure projecting out from the wall or walls of a main structure and commonly open to the weather in part.
The following regulations shall be applicable:
• All accessory buildings, decks, garages and porches shall comply with appropriate building set-back lines and shall not be located in any area subject to a private, public or utility easement.
• Not more than one (1) garage shall be located on any residential lot and the structure shall not exceed 720 square feet in floor space and shall not exceed sixteen (16) feet in height.
• Not more than one (1) accessory building shall be located on any residential lot and the structure shall not exceed 144 square feet in floor space and shall not exceed twelve (12) feet in height.
• No garage or accessory building shall be erected prior to the completion of the main structure, except when said garage or accessory building is being constructed contemporaneously with the main structure.
• Accessory buildings shall be located as follows:
• At least ten (10) feet from the main structure;
• At least ten (10) feet from the rear property line;
• Within the sides, as extended on a line, of the main structure.
• In business, commercial and industrial areas:
• Only one (1) accessory building shall be allowed per site, and said building shall not exceed 300 square feet in floor space, nor shall said accessory building exceed twenty (20) feet in height.
• Said accessory building shall be located at least twenty (20) feet from the main structure; shall be set back at least twenty (20) feet from the rear property line; shall be within the sides, as extended on a line, of the main structure.